I was thinking about giving something back to the sewing blogsphere – because I learnt so much from you, I learnt the most from bloggers, tutorials, little videos and you gave me so much inspiration I can’t tell!
So here is my little treat for you, ‘Budapest’ FREE high waist panty sewing pattern! Nowadays the high waist panties are very popular – and I get it why – we all need now and then a comfy, cosy but flattering undie.
I got the main idea from THIS Vogue article: Love in Full Bloomers.
It’s not hard to see why big knickers are back, especially if you’ve had the horrifying experience of seeing yourself wearing a G-string in a three-way changing-room mirror.
So here you go, my gift to you, the ‘Budapest’ (as I’m from Hungary, living in Budapest) FREE high waist panty sewing pattern!
And of course, a little Sew-Along!
What should you know about the ‘Budapest’ FREE high waist panty sewing pattern?
- very comfy, relaxed fit
- the top of the panty ends an inch (2,5 cm) belowe the belly button
- it has 3 pattern pieces
- has a floating gusset
- made with love!
- 0.5 m/yard fabric – cotton, lycra is suitable – the point is to have 4 way stretch fabric
- a little piece of cotton to the gusset/crotch lining
- elastic – I designed the pattern for FOE (fold over elastic) and stretch lace elastic – because these don’t require Seam Allowances on the waist and leg openings – if you want to use regular elastic, you’ll need to add SA to waist and leg openings as well!
- There is no SA included except the Gusset piece!
- SA needed to add = 0,5 mm at the side seams and the crotch seams AND IF you use regular elastic – to the waist and leg openings as well
Sizing of ‘Budapest’ FREE high waist panty sewing pattern:
Sizing is according to your HIP size.
- XS hip size: 33 4/8 – 34 4/8 inch (85 – 87.6 cm)
- S hip size: 35 4/8 – 36 4/8 inch (90 – 92.7 cm)
- M hip size: 37 4/8 – 38 4/8 inch (95.3 – 97.8 cm)
- L hip size: 40 – 41 4/8 inch (101.6 – 105.4 cm)
- XL hip size: 43 – 44 4/8 inch (109.2 – 113 cm)
- XXL: 46 4/8 – 48 4/8 inch (118.1 – 123-2 cm)
Downloadable PDF pattern pieces of the Budapest free high waist sewing pattern:
PRINT THEM WITH 100% SCALE!
LINK TO XS SIZE Panty Front Pattern Piece Size XS + Panty Back Pattern Piece Size XS
LINK TO S SIZE Panty Front Pattern Piece Size S + Panty Back Pattern Piece Size S
LINK TO M SIZE Panty Front Pattern Piece Size M + Panty Back Pattern Piece Size M
You LOVE the pattern? Tip me and I’ll release more free patterns in the future:
Are you ready for Budapest? Let’s see how it goes!
1. step: Choosing and cutting your fabric
- cut Front and Back and Gusset ON FOLD. Gusset should be cotton jersey, don’t use nylon or any microfiber fabric because they ain’t no good for your body, trust and stick with cotton!
- For the main fabric, you can use lycra, cotton jersey, tulle/mesh, etc, just make sure it’s 4 way stretchy.
- It’s not necessary to prewash microfiber fabric because the shrinkage is minimal, but if you want to be sure, do it.
2. step: Finishing the floating gusset
- Fold the wide edge of the gusset (5 mm) and stitch it down with straight stitch – this seam won’t stretch.
- Note: I used a square piece of gusset, yours gonna be wider on one side. (Mine turned out to be a little short, that’s why I lengthened the pattern piece.)
3. step: Sewing Gusset + Front + Back together
- Lay down the FRONT piece, RIGHT SIDE FACING YOU, then lay on it the BACK piece, WRONG SIDE FACING YOU, then lay down on them the GUSSET, WRONG SIDE FACING YOU- make sure the UNSTITCHED edge of the gusset alignes with the front and back crotch parts.
- Stitch the crotch seam and trim the seam allowance
- Fold the gusset to the front
- I usually stabilize the floating part by putting 1-2 stitches on the right and left side. This way it’s easier to attach the elastic from the right side later (the gusset won’t be bulky and slip away)
3. step: Sewing side seams
- What you need to do is put together the front and back RIGHT SIDES facing, and sew the side seam (SA is 5 mm) with ZIG-ZAG!
- These seams will be stretched out the most when dressing up and down, so make the seam stable.
- You can trim the seam allowance, or if you have serger, use it!
4. Step: Add elastic to leg openings
- If you use lace elastic, just lay it on the RIGHT side of the panty at the leg openings (I usually start at the side seam for the good looking panty or at the crotch seam) and depening on the width of the lace zig-zag the elastic on the panty. Use 5 mm SA on the main fabric, and on the lace whatever you feel comfortable with – 5 mm or 1 cm if it’s a wider elastic.
- During sewing : PULL the elastic a little, but DON’T PULL the fabric at all! This way the panty will snug on your body.
- Trim the seam allowances later
5. step: Finish the panty with attaching elastic to the waist
- with the same method, attach elastic to the waist as well.
- trim the seam allowances, and well, YOU CREATED YOUR BUDAPEST PANTY! Congrats!!!
If you are satisfied with the Budapest free sewing pattern, you can support my work by tipping:
Follow me on Facebook!
Kövess Facebookon is!